Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Drawing lines?

I've had some interesting discussions lately and I really am struggling with the division of religion and culture. Day of the dead is a very big deal in this area, and we currently have a display of altars/shrines at the local museum where I volunteer. I don't understand why honoring someone's memory seems to involve glittery skulls... or bottles of booze and packs of cigs for that matter (and no, that isn't a random comment - we actually have 1 that includes a Jim Beam bottle & a box of Kools) Additionally, I have had 3 different conversations about ghosts. Each of those people were convinced there were spirits wandering the museum grounds (the home of the city's founder, the city's first hospital and a stagecoach inn have all been moved to our site). There is so much superstition twisted with Catholicism in the Mexican culture, and I find myself a bit stunned and at a loss for words at times (shocking, I know!) but then even after pondering it for awhile, I don't know how to respond. I know that God has placed our entire family here, and me in particular in a place promoting "arts & heritage." and we are to shine His light of truth. I was recently reading in Ephesians, and this verse really jumped out at me:
"Pray also for me, that whenever I open my mouth, words may be given me so that I will fearlessly make known the mystery of the gospel." Ephesians 6:19

Yep, there's my answer - it's not about me, it's about HIM. And keep praying.

Edited to add: Just received an email from another museum that we belong (a Smithsonian affiliate, no less) and their big Dia de los Muertes exhibit opens Sunday afternoon: Come see shrines to pivotal Mexican artists and decorate sugar skulls! Sigh.

No comments: