Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Do you feel pretty?

Cuz frankly I usually don't. I'm not exactly supermodel material, but more what you'd call thick ;) Even as a kid, I was always the "sturdy" one in the bunch. And while it was hard at times, I was generally content to be the smart and/or funny one. And I'm still OK with that... but I'm not OK with rationalizing unhealthy habits. My body is God's temple (I Cor 6:19-20) and I need to honor that. I am eating better (specifically watching portion control - I generally eat decent stuff, just too much of it) and have been working out 3x a week. I have a loooooong way to go, but am already excited about the changes I'm seeing in my body. I have two active kidlets that I'm trying to keep up with, plus I want to have some energy left for my hubby at the end of the day...

So where am I going with all this? As part of my down in the lumpy-dumps routine, I generally just threw on whatever clothing was clean. Now I wasn't one to hang out in sweats and stained t-shirts, but I had fallen into the mommy cliche of denim on the bottom and a simple knit top whenever we went out. About a year ago I decided I needed to kick things up a notch and began picking up some new wardrobe pieces - namely accessories. Basically, I made it my goal to have 1 accessory on every time we stepped out of the house. Kind of silly, but it really does make a difference. That turquoise v-neck t-shirt with tan capris looks much more impressive with a funky necklace. Or a patterned scarf. Or even chandelier earrings!

I'm particularly into necklaces these days - and I'm amazed at how many places I can find them. Payless Shoes has some good ones. I have a nice stash from etsy, including scrabble pendants and even some gorgeous glass pieces. And how about Kohl's? I picked up 2 necklaces there last week (from the junior department, no less) for less than $15 total. I have the mama bird necklace from The Vintage Pearl, and I get compliments on it (and questions) whenever I wear it. I love earrings, too, but have to be careful with those as I tend to get itchy from the cheap metal; Simply Whispers to the rescue! Target also carries a decent selection of hypoallergenic stuff, and I don't mind spending $5 on a pair of earrings that I know I'll only wear for a year or two.

I recently discovered Shari Braendel, and I like her down to earth approach - sort of a What Not To Wear from a Christian perspective. She's recently posted spring wardrobe ideas, and I appreciated the visuals. I also like this slideshow of fashion mistakes - fit really does matter! I still don't have a supermodel body, but I am trying to dress a bit better and be mindful of the image I present.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really like your idea of accessorizing. I fall into the same trap of just wearing something comfortable but now I will make it my mission to jazz things up more often! :)

In Pursuit of His Call said...

Where is the LIKE button on Blogger?

LIKE...