Tuesday, February 21, 2012

People. Tough Issues.

How does God put up with us? How does our perfect, sovereign Lord put up with all our issues?! Because honestly, if I were in charge I think I'd flood the earth every couple years with the hope that "this batch" will turn out better. Sigh.

How do you handle the zealous person? You know, the one that suddenly decides they should cook healthier for their family, so every conversation you have with them turns into a lecture about how YOU are poisoning your children with the stuff you're putting on their plate... Or perhaps the person who sends out constant emails with updates from an orphanage in Russia, or a pregnancy center, or a community farm in Zimbabwe or whatever cause they've devoted themselves to.... Many of these are good things, and there's something to be said for being made aware.... But if you don't embrace their cause, does this mean that you don't care, that you are actually on Satan's side?

And what about groups at church? What happens when one study group suddenly becomes *the* thing to be involved with -- and well, I'm pretty sure that's not where God has me right now, and I somehow feel like I need to justify my lack of participation...

And what about that person that you reach out to, and while you consider her a friend, she feels you should play a much larger role in her life? How do you deal with the guilt when you see her phone number come up on the caller ID, and you don't even answer because you don't want to hear about her drama and decline yet another invitation to get together...

And then we have the kids. What happens when a friend comes over, and you see the friend's inappropriate behavior? How do you handle discussions when your child comments that a kid in his or her class has yet another new daddy?

How do you show God's love in a messed-up world?

I'm going with the dig into the Bible and pray option. Still struggling with how the answers play out on a day to day basis.

And don't be upset if I don't respond to your email right away -- or answer the phone ;)

3 comments:

Shay said...

I feel ya about the flood thing. Every time I turn on the news lately I think that Jesus has just GOT to be coming back soon, because this is ridiculous.
Have you read Crazy Love? I just finished it and your questions made me think of it. He talks a lot about how we need to do what we feel led to do and stop worrying about what people think. Easier said than done, but lots to think about.

Trish D said...

I started reading it last year and could only get through a few pages at a time, as there was so much to think about. Maybe I'll put that back out after Made to Crave.

Obviously no one person can do it all, but I seem to have been bombarded with messages of, "If you don't do this, then who will?!" lately and I'm worn out. And more than a bit cranky. God made each of us with special gifts and experiences, and we need to focus on whatever He's led us to -- and sometimes discerning where to act can be difficult.

Anonymous said...

Focusing on my gifts has been the best experience for me. Being at a new church has allowed me to look around w/fresh eyes and find places to get involved where I am skilled/excited about which is so nice. I hope you can find your niche and not feel obligated to fill in elsewhere. And I feel your pain about explaining the big, bad world to the kids. That is where I threaten to move to the middle of nowhere in Wyoming and hide from the world!