Let me summarize the past few days:
Day we left:
- while washing dishes, shattered the carafe from the coffee maker in the sink
- our sewer stopped draining properly as we were all trying to "empty" before hitting the road... We called our water/sewer company to report the issue, and decided to go ahead and leave anyway. Will deal with whatever when we get home.
- since I was unable to go to the restroom at home, we stopped at a gas station on the way out of town. A woman bustled by A and I as we walked in, and turned out there was only a single restroom. We waited a bit, but we were hearing noises and finally decided it wasn't worth waiting any more so just hit the road.
- got about two hours north of home and I ended up getting my.first.speeding.ticket.EVER. I could understand if I was actually wrong, but the cop shot me doing 56 in a 55 and then tried to say I was in a 40 (he was sitting right behind the sign designating the new speed limit - sure, like I'm going to blow by him like that?!) Anyway, life goes on.
- our GPS redirected us around jammed traffic, and then proceeded to freeze. Ended up shutting the car off while mostly stopped on I-10 and thankfully it restarted OK.
- my sunglasses broke (these are the kind that slip over my regular glasses, and I only use them when driving.)
- hit major cold front/rain just as we were pulling in for the night
- drove in the rain for about an hour, but thankfully it was warming up at that point.
- MAJOR wind through west TX. Hardly shocking, but annoying nevertheless. Thankfully New Mexico was fairly uneventful.
- hit some ice coming out of the mountains in Arizona.
- tried to pull off at a rest stop in a small town in AZ - there was a sign telling us it was coming in 1 mile, but nothing actually designating the turnoff, so we ended up pulling into the wrong place. D had to go pretty badly, so decided he was going to walk to the right place... well, ended up that we couldn't take the easy walk-through, but had to walk back out to the road. Hubby had already moved the car around and we were running along... I love walking along highway in the darkness, wearing flip flops in 40 degree weather. Oh, and did I mention crossing the cattle guard? Good times, good times.
- arrived, but kids having serious coughing fits. Thankfully no congestion, fever or other symptoms, but we still ended up staying home from church on Sunday.
Merry Christmas to all!