Thursday, May 1, 2008

Triumph!

I need a dress. And well, frankly I don't enjoy clothes shopping much right now. Those cute little empire waisted, "floaty" numbers look adorable on the size 2 mannequins and teenagers, but transform this short, overweight 34 year old into a lumpy, dowdy mess. Oh, and have I mentioned that I was hoping to find something that would work for both a memorial service and a wedding? (I know, not exactly setting myself up for success...) I've been looking around for a couple weeks now, whenever I have spare moments and find myself in a store that has clothing - but nothing has caught my eye. I decided to get serious in my search, so I headed out on Monday evening, optimistic that I'd find something. I tried on over 20 items. Many of those were, "I'm not quite sure about this one, but maybe it will look better on." Ha! I did discover that those shiny bright prints do a lovely job highlighting the silver strands in my hair, though :) I was even open to a blouse that would coordinate with a skirt I already had, but just couldn't find anything.

I headed out again on Tuesday night; I got a later start than I had planned, but was hopeful as two different ladies at MOPS that morning had recommended TJ Maxx. I made three treks to the fitting rooms, and emerged with 1 "this will work if I can't find anything else" dress. Debated about purchasing it, but decided to just go ahead and put it back. It was 8:40 at this point, so rather than going to the other store on my list (which was 10 minutes away, and closed at 9:00), I headed to Wal-Mart to pick up the spark plug that hubby needed. Well, as I pulled into the parking lot, I saw "Dots" a couple stores down from Wal-Mart. Now I've walked by this store several times, but never actually gone in as the items I could see through the window just didn't seem like my style. They were still open for another 15 minutes, though, so I figured I'd take a quick look around. And surprisingly, I found 2 things that were worthy of trying on: a purple wrap dress, and a B&W print. Wrap dress was OK, but I wasn't thrilled. At this point, the sales clerk has chirpily reminded me that they'll be closing soon, so I hurriedly pull the 2nd dress over my head. Wow. I actually like this one! Cap sleeves. Squared neckline with just a bit of shirring (and no, I don't look 6 months pregnant). Hangs nicely, and has a bit of sheen without crossing over into scary, shiny land. Ding Ding Ding - we have a winner!! And it's been marked down to $20! I plunk down my cash, finish up at Wal-Mart, and head on home. Wonder of wonders, hubby even likes it!!

It's definitely not something I would normally have been drawn to, but I am happy with it. And I already know how I'll be accessorizing: simple black cardigan and flats for the memorial, funky black beaded necklace and heels for the wedding. All of which I already own. Hooray! And here's a little sneak peek:

And now back to my knit shirt and jeans. Hey, they are stain free!

4 comments:

Ivy Six-Pack said...

Love the print! Looks like a fun dress and amazingly will work for both events!

I think we are both stuck in a hard stage. We want to look younger, but not look like we're trying to look younger. there are some things that we just can't wear, and I think some of those clingy dresses with empire waist are one of them...but they're everywhere!!!

Jeff & Meg said...

So when are you going to wear your saucy new number to church so we can see it?! :)

Pepperpot said...

Love the fabric! :) Glad you found something that will work for both events. I am in that same shopping both with ya's, it's just a weird age/stage to be in? Half of what's in style I don't want to be caught dead in, lol. :P

In Pursuit of His Call said...

Are you going to post a picture of the dress? Or is it still a secret? It looks very pretty and appropriate for both events.