Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Almost there...

Can you believe tomorrow is Christmas? Today has been interesting... You see, it also happens to be my birthday. The big 3-5. For some reason this one felt like more of a milestone than 30 did. Not quite sure why - perhaps it's because I get to have my very first oh-so-fun-womanly-squash-me-all-flat test next month (just to establish a baseline), or maybe it's because if we were to have another baby I'd now be considered high risk (and no, I'm not hinting at ANYTHING with that statement!) Anyhoo, I'm definitely getting older!

So what did we do today? Well, I traditionally celebrate with lot of dairy product: spinach cheese pie for dinner, and then luscious coconut cheesecake rather than a plain ol' birthday cake. I popped the cheesecake in the oven this morning and hubby pulled it out while I was taking care of other stuff. Went about our day, and I made an early dinner so we could get to church for Christmas Eve service. Unfortunately, things didn't go quite according to plan. When I pulled the spinach cheese pie out of the oven, the center was still all runny and the crust wasn't even beginning to brown - and well, we just didn't have time to bake it any more. So it went into the fridge (we'll have it tomorrow instead) and we stopped cruised through McD's on the way to church. Definitely not the start of a new tradition! Had a very nice service, but as we were doing the last "candlelit" portion, my candle wouldn't stay lit... then as I was debating about getting another candle, our son laid down across the seats and announced that his stomach hurt. I touched his forehead, and he was waaay too hot. So we packed up and headed out, rather than standing around chatting as we normally would. Came home to enjoy my birthday "cake" - and as I cut into it, I knew we had a problem. Yep, it wasn't fully cooked either. Ate a bit of the edge, though, and it was quite tasty :)

So what's the point of this rambling account? Well, it simply didn't matter. I was surrounded by my family (and lots of friends at church, too) and was focusing on the miracle of Christmas rather than all the silly other stuff happening.

Because seriously, just think about it. God came to US. Chose to leave the glory of heaven and make his entrance here as a squalling infant in less than sanitary conditions. Walked among the fallen creation, teaching and offering an example, then making the ultimate sacrifice so that He could offer redemption to those who had repeatedly scorned Him. Wow.


Hark the herald angels sing
"Glory to the newborn King!
Peace on earth and mercy mild
God and sinners reconciled"
Joyful, all ye nations rise
Join the triumph of the skies
With the angelic host proclaim:
"Christ is born in Bethlehem"
Hark! The herald angels sing
"Glory to the newborn King!"
- -
Hail the heav'n-born Prince of Peace!
Hail the Son of Righteousness!
Light and life to all He brings
Ris'n with healing in His wings
Mild He lays His glory by
Born that man no more may die
Born to raise the sons of earth
Born to give them second birth
Hark! The herald angels sing
"Glory to the newborn King!"
~Charles Wesley
May you have a blessed CHRISTmas - I pray that each of you truly understands what an amazing gift we've all received.

1 comment:

In Pursuit of His Call said...

Though very belate...Happy 35th!

"So what's the point of this rambling account? Well, it simply didn't matter. I was surrounded by my family (and lots of friends at church, too) and was focusing on the miracle of Christmas rather than all the silly other stuff happening.

Because seriously, just think about it. God came to US. Chose to leave the glory of heaven and make his entrance here as a squalling infant in less than sanitary conditions. Walked among the fallen creation, teaching and offering an example, then making the ultimate sacrifice so that He could offer redemption to those who had repeatedly scorned Him. Wow."

Just wanted to say, Amen...