- Had part of our garage ceiling collapse. This had happened to us a few months after moving into this house; we chalked it up to residual damage from Hurricane Dolly, added some bracing in the attic, replaced the ceiling (plain sheetrock) and moved on. Clearly something else is going on here - hubby's best guess is that the beams are spaced too far apart to properly anchor the sheetrock (and since our garage is not climate controlled, the heat and humidity take their toll).
- I opened the fridge to put groceries away, and the bottom fridge door broke out. That's where I stored out lesser used condiments, PLUS our deep fryer oil (used once, then filtered and saved). Did I mention I had it in a big glass jar? Yep, big oily, glass shard mess seeping over a tile floor with lots of grout lines. Joy.
- Winding down my "service time" in the kids ministry at church. We've had a lot of teachers step down in the past couple weeks, and we've had to cut back to only run the program during first service (we've always offered the same program during both worship times). Still haven't had anyone step up to take over, either. I've been spending even more time on this, just trying to tie up loose ends and prepare as best I can. Commitment seems to be a real issue for our entire church right now - we're growing, but there's a very small core group of people who actually do 90% of the work, and you'd think we were asking for millions of dollars when we ask for people to step up. Lots of weariness and frustration - would appreciate your prayers.
- My Mom had a knee replacement done a week ago, and she seems to be fighting a low grade infection or something. My grandmother (Mom's Mom) fell again while Mom was in the hospital, and even managed to break her nose, so she also ended up in the hospital at the same time (just as a precaution). Sheesh, when do we get a family discount?! Could also use some prayer with the whole family situation - there are some hard things going on and really need wisdom.
- I took the kids to get haircuts on Wednesday. As our daughter's hair was being finished, the stylist waved me over (I was assuming that she just wanted me to approve the length). Nope - turns out it's lice again. This is the THIRD TIME since Christmas. There are clearly 1 or 2 parents in 2nd grade who aren't fully treating the problem, as I know of 2 other families that have had multiple outbreaks as well. Grrrrrrr. Yet another reason I am soooooo looking forward to summer vacation!
A and her BFF after the performance:
This same friend just had her birthday this weekend, and we celebrated with her at Bass Pro Shop. They have a bowling alley ("The Fish Bowl") that is all underwater-themed and it was super fun. Hubby and I had a good laugh, though, as we looked at all the attendees and realized we were the only white family - we're really good friends with the Mom, and asked her if we were the token white people. She laughed.... and then as we were doing the cake later, there was actually a "white" sticker on the cake board which she gave D as a label. Yes, we laughed entirely too hard at that.
And finally: a gerbil update! Spike and Rocky were acting a little odd this weekend, so hubby and I decided to go ahead and clean the cage on Saturday afternoon "just in case." This morning, I discovered that Rocky had made herself a nursery in the wheel (drug a whole lot of bedding material up the tube - gerbils take the term "nesting" to a whole new level!), and I told hubby that there'd probably be some babies waiting for him after work (his response: "Well, as long as they're not yours we'll be fine." Niiiiiice :) I took the kids to school, then came back home and found that yes, the babies are here! Mama hasn't left them alone much (gerbils are actually very attentive parents, unlike hamsters that often eat their offspring) but there are at least 5 in there, if not 6. The kids are going to have quite a surprise when they get home from school today!