Monday, April 2, 2007

Monday Memory - Special Delivery

Another wonderful topic so I just had to participate!!

Our son turned four last week, so I was just thinking back to his birth. I was due on Monday, March 24, 2003 - but nothing was happening. On Wednesday night, our little baby (we did not know gender at that point) was quite active, and my insides were taking quite a beating - seriously the most uncomfortable night of my pregnancy. Well I went in for my check-up on Thursday and found out just why it was such a painful evening - our little one had gone from being in the proper postion to butt down. After checking me out, the doctor asked if I was ready to have a baby tomorrow, as he would highly recommend a C-section. They did one last ultrasound, and estimated the size at 8 lb 9 oz - definitely too big to try turning (like they needed to tell me that!!) and awfully large for a breech delivery... I was stunned, and rather disappointed. I had planned my nice, natural delivery. This child was right there for all my prayers, hadn't he or she been listening?!? Well, with this newest turn of events it seemed the choice was out of my hands. I called my hubby, and let him know he wouldn't be going to work the next day. Headed home (praying the whole way), did some last minute research on C-sections (I always knew it was a possibility of course, but hadn't really thought too much about it), double checked the contents of my hospital bag, chowed down on a big ol' dinner from KFC (since I knew I wouldn't be eating again for quite some time), and anxiously awaited the time I would finally meet our precious little bundle of joy. By this time, my hubby is convinced that it's a boy as he's already turning our lives upside down :)

So on Friday morning, we headed to the hospital, and I filled out paperwork, got hooked up to the monitors, and waited some more. The hospital was really busy that day, so we had to wait quite awhile until they were ready for us. I was given the spinal, and then the doctor and nurses were there to open the "emergency row exit" (my hubby's term) My hubby was wonderful - right there holding my hand and watching the entire procedure. At 6:17 PM, our precious son arrived - weighing in at 8 lb 15 oz, and 21 inches. Not much hair, but looking a whole lot like Mommy. Extremely alert from the very beginning, and verrrrry hungry! What a precious gift - I can't believe he's already a "big 4 boy"!
Join in the fun and share your own memory here!


Jenn said...

What a cutie! I don't think I had ever heard that story! Funny how their little personalities start so early!

In Pursuit of His Call said...

Hey, that 1st Family Picture looks familiar! We were wondering what that mark on your forehead is? Thanks for sharing...I didn't know Little D was breach. DearHubby kept telling me you went in for a C-section because of some sort of blood incompatibility issue. Little D's activity in your tummy was a sign of what would come ahead ;) Well, I'm glad your ultra-sound showed Little D to be 8lbs 9oz (not too far off from 8lbs 15oz). I had an US a week before I went into labor because my mid-wife was concerned that DearDaughter was too big for me to deliver. The US showed DearDaughter was only 6lbs+ and I asked the technician if she was sure about that. Turned out DearDaughter was 8lbs 6.8oz. Hmmm? All in all, our children ARE such precious gifts :)

Trish D said...

That thing on my forehead was a little thermometer - they slapped it on my earlier in the afternoon, I guess as part of the general monitoring.

There was a blood issue with an antigen compatibility (which they'd discovered through a blood test just a few weeks into my pregnancy), but thankfully my body never went into defense mode, so while they continued to monitor me, it never became an issue. God is good!!