Wednesday, March 10, 2010

WFMW - Sugary Cereals

Ah, those delightful cereals loaded with sugar & artificial colors. I know of several families that do not allow them at all, and while I do try to avoid most processed junk, this is one area where we bend the rules a bit. So here's how it works in our family.

Friday is fun cereal day. After a busy week, I love that when Friday rolls around the first meal is a no-brainer :) The kids are each allowed one bowl of scrumptiousness -- but of course I can't give it to them "as is." No, it gets the mommy treatment first. I mix the super sugary stuff with other varieties - here you see fruity pebbles and rice krispies. Other popular blends are cocoa or peanut butter puffs with kix, and cinnamon toast krunch with Special K (my personal favorite!). And let me add that I combine the 2 cereals as soon as they come home from the grocery store - I dump 'em out into a big bowl, mix, and pour into rubbermaid containers so that the kids can get it themselves.
So what works for you? Lots more good stuff over here.

3 comments:

Shelby said...

You know, I actually really like this idea! My kiddo is too little for cereal of the non-baby variety, but I think this is a good compromise between insisting on the "healthy stuff" and giving the kids a bit of a treat every once in a while. I would imagine this also eliminates some power struggles as well. Thanks for the tip!

Nikki said...

Very clever. I may have to try the Cinnamon toast crunch/Special K combo.

In Pursuit of His Call said...

Great idea!!!

So, what do the kiddos get on other days?