Thursday, February 28, 2008

Catching Up

So what exactly has been going on at the D house? Well, basically the normal busyness. Meals, laundry, errands, and such. I've been fighting off a headache for over a week now (with ups and downs) so have definitely been a little low on patience with the kiddos. Plus it's actually feeling quite wintery here, so they're tired of being cooped up. Thankfully a friend and I have established a monthly "Mommy morning" tradition - I take her kids for 3-4 hours, and then she returns the favor. The kids were quite happy to have their friends over earlier this week, and I was thrilled to head off on my own this morning. Bliss! I did general running around, and even went to Joann's and picked up a few patterns and some fabric for A... I'm having a really hard time finding things that fit her well (they're too short and/or too tight), and at this stage, I can still make up a sundress for her using less than a yard of fabric, so it's a good value. Now to dust off my machine and get to work :)

We will not be attending Grandma's funeral; it's over 1300 miles away, so driving wasn't an option (although my brother and I did briefly consider it), and even if we were to fly into Minneapolis it's still almost 200 miles away. Mom and Dad left this morning, I believe his siblings are either in transit or heading out tomorrow. Please continue to pray for the family; the service will be held Saturday morning. I know some may think it's a bit odd that I wouldn't attend my grandmother's funeral, but honestly that whole side of the family isn't super close. I've had some very interesting conversations with D about the whole death, heaven, etc. thing. As I was trying to explain to him what had happened, he very solemnly looked at me and said, "Mommy, I'm sorry your Grandma's dead. I hope she comes back to life soon." I clarified that she won't be coming back to live here on earth, but is now in heaven with Jesus. He seemed satisfied with explanation (even saying, "Oh, that sounds nice!!") but not sure how much he really understands. Trying to explain life and death to an almost 5 YO is an interesting proposition!!

Here's a silly picture to share - D had been playing with markers earlier this week, and announced that he wanted "dots" on his arm. I confiscated the markers and sent him to the bathroom to wash up. Let me tell you, those washable blue markers leave behind a funky color that looks like a serious skin condition. I was glad that we weren't going anywhere so I didn't have to assure anyone he wasn't contagious :)

Oh, I also got together with another friend this week for some hang-out time. Our kids had a ball, and my little hoodlums managed to dig out art supplies (paint, thankfully washable) while we were sprucing up her blog a bit. Gotta keep an eye on those crazies every minute I tell ya! Anyway, she had tagged me for a little name game: create a personal acrostic with your middle name. So here goes!

L - Living on the East Coast. Something I said I'd never do. I've also said that I never wanted to go back to Texas... guess what the future may hold?!?
Y - Yahoo! OK, this is a tough letter and I had a hard time coming up with something. But I consider myself to be an enthusiastic person. Plus I'm a Western girl at heart.
N - Nurturing. I treasure my friends and family.
N - Nutty. I love to laugh, and having young kids is a great excuse to be silly. But my mouth does get me in trouble sometimes... Sarcasm is just one of the services I provide!

I'm not going to tag anyone else, but please feel free to play along.

1 comment:

In Pursuit of His Call said...

Lynn, what a pretty middle name! Try doing an acrostic for my middle name, HIPOLITO ;)

I like the idea of the Mommy-morning tradition. Good idea!!!

Good conversation with Little D, sufficient for a 5YO!