Monday, February 11, 2008

Winter Happenings

We've definitely been spoiled so far this year with warmer-than-normal temps. We broke 70 last week for goodness sake! But our thermometer is currently reading 17. Brrrr!! Our son announced that he wanted to go outside and play. I was all for it - let him run off some energy! Well, I got him bundled up and sent him on his way... he came back in approximately 3 1/2 minutes later and announced that he was done. And that he needed hot cocoa to warm up. Classic.

This is a scene from yesterday afternoon. We had two plum trees in our backyard that weren't giving us good fruit anymore (it would all drop before it ripened), plus one of them had been struck by lightning so the trunk was beginning to split. We planned to take them down in the fall, but one thing after another altered that plan. Well, yesterday was the day! The backyard really looks different now. Next step in the overhaul process is to put up a new shed (over in the corner rather than smack dab in the middle of the yard) and then do some re-landscaping. I'd really like to get some different varieties of hydrangeas, as well as misc "green stuff" for filler. I foresee plant research in my future.

So what else have I been up to lately? Well, our church is in the midst of a capital campaign and I'm helping with the communications side. Our theme is "Find us Faithful" and let me tell you, it's been a humbling experience. It's definitely forcing me to take a hard look at myself, and just how faithful I'm being with the gifts I've been given. I've had fun working on the pieces, but there have also been plenty of arrrrrrgh moments. Nothing like frustration to drive you back to your knees.

And how 'bout my ears? They actually seem just a bit better today, but we'll see what the doctor says this evening. I'm really hoping that it's something that can be resolved quickly (and inexpensively). It's been nice not hearing all the kids' bickering, but I'm really looking forward to being able to have normal conversations again. On a funny note, these past few weeks have made me aware of just how much I talk. Pretty hard to insert your two cents when you're not exactly sure what the other person said. On an even funnier note, one of the songs we sang yesterday morning was "Let My Words Be Few." I'm learning, I'm learning.

And lastly, I thought I'd share the lego lineup. This is the piano, which has magically been transformed into the Lego holding area. This is where our son carefully places his half-finished spaceships/houses/boats and then very solemnly tells me I can't move them. It's really quite funny - but I've gotta say that his building skills are really improving. Maybe he can finance our retirement with his architectural career :)

1 comment:

In Pursuit of His Call said...

I don't know why I always wait weeks before I read your blog. It's always so entertaining. You always seem to find the humor in things as well as always find Heaven's lessons.
Anyway, Little D looks like he's having a lot of fun with his building blocks. That's so awesome! I bet that keeps him busy for a long time!