Thursday, May 10, 2007

Streusel Raspberry Muffins

We had a Lunch Swap this week at MOPS, so I made up a big batch of pasta salad, and wanted to have a nice little dessert, too. I dug out a muffin cookbook that we'd received as a wedding gift, and made these Stresel Raspberry Muffins. They were very yummy!! Unfortunately I didn't think to snap a picture before they all disappeared...

STREUSEL: 1/4 each of chopped pecans, packed brown sugar, and flour. Blend together, then stir in 2 Tb melted butter or margarine

MUFFINS:
1 1/2 c flour
1/2 c sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 c milk
1/2 c butter or margarine, melted
1 egg, beaten
1 c fresh or frozen raspberries, unsweetened

Preheat oven to 375. Grease or paper-line 12 standard muffin cups. Prepare streusel topping and set aside.

In large bowl, combine flour, sugar, and baking powder. In small bowl, combine milk, butter and egg until blended. Stir into flour mixture just until moistened. Spoon 1/2 of the batter into muffin cups. Divide raspberries among cups, then top with remaining batter. Sprinkle streusel over tops. Bake 25-30 minutes, or until golden brown and wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Remove from pan.

---

My spin: I mixed the liquid ingredients together in the bottom of a bowl, dumped the dry ingredients on top, then stirred together. I used frozen raspberries (quite reasonable at Save-A-Lot, and I like to use them with frozen bananas to make smoothies for the kids), and just placed three in the center of each muffin. Very tasty, and not overly sweet. I did add about 1/2 tsp of cinnamon to the batter, and next time I'll substitute a mix of applesauce and olive oil for the butter, and probably sub out half of the flour for either ground oat bran or whole wheat flour.

1 comment:

In Pursuit of His Call said...

Added this one to my list of recipes to try.

I gotta hear how your substitutions turn out!

Thanks for sharing!