Sunday, August 11, 2013

Pondering the Path

The past few weeks have been a bit crazy. I didn't say anything here on the blog, but through a bizarre set of circumstances, we were able to visit Pennsylvania for four glorious days.  I had been *longing* to get back up there to see friends and family, but the expense and time involved kept preventing the trip from happening... until a strange (nearly-forgotten) circumstance from 5 years ago meant that my hubby needed to go up there for a few days.  Oh, and the expense of his 1 plane ticket = enough gas to get us there.  So yes, we piled into the car and drove until we were beyond tired.  There are some funny stories, too, but we'll save those for another day.  What it boils down to, though, is that God gave me the desire of my heart in a totally unexpected way (additional side note: we were hoping to send D to a really cool church camp up by Austin this summer in conjunction with the church where the kiddos go to AWANA.  I took the paperwork in the last week of school, but their roster had filled up the day before.  I was so disappointed!  Know what, though?  That camp was taking place while we were up north.  Just another reminder that God's working it all out, even when I don't think it's "good"!)

While we greatly enjoyed our time up there, I was reminded of how many connections we have in eastern PA.  And how after four years in south TX we are still fighting for tenuous threads.  We were able to hang out with friends that truly are more more like family.  Our kids got to play with their cousins. We soaked up the glorious beauty surrounding us (GREEN!!!! - the photo was taken in a county park).  Yes, I had tears in my eyes as we crossed from PA into MD.

The trip also brought some of the issues with hubby's job to a head.  He was on the phone way too much.  He's been with this one company nearly twenty years - hired straight out of college and steadily working his way up.  There have been many bumps along the road, and we've debated about pursuing another position at times, but he's still there.  I can't help but feeling that time is now drawing to a close, though.  And now the question is where will that take us?

There are many good things about south TX, and while I would miss a handful of friends, the balmy winters, the affordability and constant access to tacos, frankly I feel like our whole family could pack up and leave in two weeks without too much difficulty.  That's sad to me.

So we're praying about what the future will hold.  We got back super late last Saturday night, and went to church on Sunday.  I was pretty tired and honestly I can't tell you all that much about the service, but the text for the sermon was from Psalm 119, and once again I was comforted in knowing that God was reminded me HE has it all under control.  We'd appreciate your prayers as we seek His path - and the grace to accept whatever answer we're given.

Barricade the road that goes Nowhere; grace me with your clear revelation. 
Psalm 119:29, The Message

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'll be praying for you guys. Especially the part about maybe giving up the constant access to tacos part, because as a wise (wo)man once said 'Who needs swag when you have tacos?' Seriously, though, I will be praying. I'm glad you got get away and see the lovely green state of PA for a while!